Monday, August 6, 2012

So here's the short of it,
The Olympics mesmerize me.

And here's the long.

In my late twenties when I was newly single and living on my own, I didn't own a television. I didn't miss it.  I don't really remember what I did instead of watching the tube.  I was writing then and refinishing furniture, and who remembers what else.  I'd been without a television for probably two years and hadn't really missed it at all.  Then it was time for the Olympics - and I went out and bought a little black and white television so I could watch.


I've always loved the Olympics - I like the events, but more than anything I'm inspired by the athletes.  The commitment and the stories of how they came to their sport and the grueling training they do to get to the competitive level that allows them to compete against the best in the world are what pull me in.

I've always been most attracted to the athletes who overcome some odds to get there.  I'm still mostly attracted to those stories.  But I'm also intrigued by the story of the Queen of England's granddaughter - there's just something about anyone who takes on that challenge level and then chases it as far as it will go!

Tonight I watched the Latvian Men's Beach VolleyBall Team defeat Team USA.  Now that was hard to watch - but if someone is going to beat the USA, I'm all for having it be Latvia.  Liga was really excited!  I guess we won't get to see them in the semi-final since they'll be playing Brazil - we'll just have to google it I suppose!

I'll watch a little bit more and then head off to bed before they shut off the coverage.

No comments:

Post a Comment