Tuesday, August 14, 2012

So here's the short of it, 
We have fairies in the neighborhood!

And here's the long.

I've always known that we live in a magical place!  Our neighborhood, and especially our little spot in the neighborhood is a really special place. Tonight when Sophie and I went out for our walk, we found evidence of magic going on in the neighborhood.  In a neighbors front yard, we found a fairy ring!

Growing up in southeastern Kentucky, we were heavily influenced by the mythology and folklore of the British, Irish, Welsh, and Scots.  And there were certainly were stories of fairies and elves and other such people.  I heard about them from my parents, but always in a fictional tone of voice.  The stories were fun and entertaining, but I don't think I ever really thought they believed in them. They certainly believed in retelling the stories and keeping the legends alive.  On the other hand I encountered many folk who really did believe that these creatures were alive and well in the mountains of Kentucky as well as back in the old country!  For them, the fairy rings were just another piece of evidence that they were real.


The department of agriculture explains that fairy rings are caused by the outward expansion of the germinating spore of mycelium.  To me the notion that some magical creatures were dancing in the yard and left behind the evidence is a good story.  Maybe some of that good magic will make it's way all around the circle and we'll all have good fairy luck!




No comments:

Post a Comment