Thursday, August 9, 2012

So here's the short of it, 
Yes, I'm still watching the Olympics.

And here's the long.

Latvia won bronze in Men's Beach Volleyball!

They played Netherlands while I was at work today so I didn't get a chance to see the contest.  But Liga sent me a text saying that she and Valdis were having lunch and watching!  We were all excited about them making the medal competition!  (Note the very Latvian s at the end of the male names!)
Latvia's Janis Smedins (L) and Martins Plavins in action against the Netherlands (Reuters)

Read more: http://www.3news.co.nz/Latvia-wins-Olympic-beach-volleyball-bronze/tabid/1697/articleID/264936/Default.aspx#ixzz236gv83Yo




Now I'm watching the women's platform diving.  I remember when Liga and Valdis got interested in diving...  We spent about 3 years doing practices and meets, and they were both quite good.  There was even one winter when they took lessons from a locally well known diving coach.  I was petrified after they started doing things more complicated than a forward pike or forward flip.  I'm watching the women dive from the 10 meter platform and I wonder how in the world their Moms  managed all that tension!  I was really glad when the kids decided that they really weren't that interested in diving any more.  

A young woman from Malaysia just won a medal.  And she just spoke to a reporter in English.  I'm so impressed that young people all over the world are willing to learn and speak English.  I'm also so impressed any time I meet young Americans who are learning a second language and are willing to try and speak it. 

I'll probably watch a bit more track and field and then it's off to bed for one more work day this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment