Wednesday, January 12, 2011

So here's the short of it,
It is winter here in Chattanooga!

And here's the long

In all the years I've been in Chattanooga, school has never been out this long.  Today we got the decision that Hamilton County Department of Education will remain closed Thursday and Friday.  It's not supposed to get above freezing.  The combination of the sand and salt, and the traffic has made most of the main roads passable --- well that's the report I have from Alan and Liga.  I wouldn't know since I haven't been out.  Well, I did got out for a quick minute.  Alan has a pathway shoveled off in the back so he can get to the car, and he had a couple of meetings today.  While he was gone, the recycle got full, so I tied up the bag and took it out.  I didn't go up the steps to the cans...I thought better of that.  But apparently the roads in much of the county and on the mountains, and people's driveways, and the parking lots at most of the schools are very icy at this point.  Anything that melted freezes over in the night.  It would be crazy to have buses and Moms and Dads delivering kids to school in all this -- not to mention those inexperienced high schoolers who have gotten their licenses and now drive to school.   No school for two more days is a good plan.  We already have scheduled to be off for the observance of  M.L. King, jr. Holiday on Monday, so we will have had 10 days of no school.  I've gotten several smallish projects tackled - and feel really good about it.  Let's see what I can accomplish tomorrow. 

I don't have cabin fever, but Mom hadn't been out much either.  Actually she's been out in the yard - front and back taking pictures of the snow.  And she told me she'd shoveled a pathway out to her mailbox.  But I still was worried about her being there at the house without any company since Sunday.  So late this afternoon on his way home from town, Alan stopped and picked her up.  She came up to the house bringing cole slaw and the scrabble game.  The two of us had a great game.  She was really trouncing me, and then I had this amazing space.  I had a Q and I had a U and there was a triple word open, and my word fit just perfectly, so I ended up winning just by pure luck!

The three of us had a great dinner and then Alan got Mom back home before dark -- well, we were aiming for before dark.  I guess it was a little bit after dark by the time she got home and got herself in.  I'm really glad she and Dad made the decision to move to Chattanooga.  I'm also really glad they found a place so close by.

No comments:

Post a Comment