Sunday, January 16, 2011

So here's the short of it, 
 It's not two spaces!

And here's the long

The other day I was doing some work and I discovered an article that I thought I should share. Looking back over my blog, one will see that I'm firmly stuck in a pretty antiquated time. I put two spaces after my period when I'm "typing". When I learned to type, it was in that upstairs corner room at Pineville High School - I'm pretty sure it was the 67-68 school year. I think those two upstairs rooms were our vocational department - Home Ec on one side and Typing on the other. My teacher was Mr. Jones.  This picture of him just amazes me. When I was a high schooler, he looked much older than he looks in this picture now. I truly appreciate that class.  It has stood me in good stead over the years to know how to "type". Now, the rule when we learned in the late 60's was two spaces after a period at the end of a sentence. Apparently, that rule was never really the rule. And now that we have proportional font it is really not the rule. But since I've spent the majority of my adult life putting two spaces after every period, the memory is etched deeply in my fingertips and I'm going to have to really work on changing it.

Here's a picture of me when I was learning how to type.  And here's the article "Why you should never, ever use two spaces after a period."   I wonder if Mr. Jones ever started to use only one space. I don't know much about Mr. Jones, but I'm sure glad he taught me to type, even if I am now going to struggle with relearning how to space after a period.


1 comment:

  1. Lynn,
    It depends on the word processing program that you use. I learned the two space thing also and it doesn't cause any problem with documents in my word processors. However, we live in a world where there are few rules about such things, but a plethora of rules about how we live that many old timers like me find oppressive.

    I am thankful that I grew up in a time and place that allowed so much freedom by today's standards, and sorry that my descendants won't experience it. Thank you for your blog.

    Bob Edwards

    ReplyDelete