Saturday, June 25, 2011

So here's the short of it, 
Another great day of vacationing.

And here's the long.

Today was not a sleeping in vacation day!  We got up early to the smell of Lori's coffee and cinnamon orange buns!  After a quick breakfast we headed out to get on the Cog Rail up Pike's Peak.  Lori, Jon, and Marcia all came with us.  It was great fun to have company on the trip!  The scenery up the mountain was, of course, spectacular. And our conductor, Whitney, told lots of funny jokes on the way up.




We saw an old stone structure more than half way up  called Windy Point.  It used to house the maintenance crew - and heard that long ago a woman actually gave birth in that house!

When we got to the top several of us were suffering a bit from altitude sickness.  For me it was being a bit lightheaded, having a tiny bit of tummy wooziness, being somewhat short of breath, and being unsteady on my feet. I didn't walk around much but the altitude sickness didn't stop us from sampling the very famous Pike's Peak donuts. We got the unglazed variety. I didn't find the donut extraordinary, but maybe that was because of my altitude sickness.  Lori and Marcia kept reminding me to breath in my nose and out my mouth and to drink lots of water. I did all that although I worried about drinking too much water because there is no restroom on the train cars!

Once we got back down, Alan and I took off to Boulder.  We arrived about 4 this afternoon and tried to relax just a bit. Daniel joined us for dinner at Happy Noodle and we had a great visit with him.  He's looking great and is enjoying his work. It was really nice to be with him.  It's only 10:30 here which is a little early for me to be heading to bed, but I'm awfully tired, so I'm heading off see if I can get some sleep in!

No comments:

Post a Comment