Wednesday, June 15, 2011

So here's the short of it, 
Haircut...

 And here's the long.

So yesterday was my first haircut in a long, long time.  My neighborhood hairdresser has since gone out of business and so I'm back with dear friend Jeannie at Mirror Image salon. They are great folks, and I'm glad to be back there.

So Dr. Schlabach told me I would likely lose all my hair. As a matter of fact Dr. Witherspoon told me after my biopsy that I had the "bad kind" and would have to have chemotherapy, "the kind that makes your hair fall out".  Hair was the least of my worries!  Well, it did fall out, and it did come back.

As it started to grow back I liked it at almost every length. I was happy to get back even an inch - because my head wasn't cold all the time any more. The curl was really interesting. My baby pictures show a little bit of soft curl, but I don't really ever remember having any curl.  In the late sixties and early seventies, I had that long straight, hippie hair - never had to worry about a curl showing up. So I've enjoyed the hair growing out and just curling up without any prompting from "product" or rollers, or heated curling irons.

I went to see Jeannie a few weeks ago - we decided not to even cut it then. But by this past weekend I was ready - and got myself on the book.  I had no idea how I wanted to have it cut. I've been wearing it really short for many years - and I wouldn't mind going really short again. I sure did want it off my neck!  Jeannie reminded me that we can always take off more, but that you can't put it back on when it's been cut.

Now one of the things that's been very interesting is that it's been all the same length. I liked that for awhile. As a matter of fact at about 3 inches, I thought about buying one of those "flowbee" haircutting devices that they sold in the 70's or 80's.  So what could/should I do about this hair.  I decided to just let Jeannie do whatever she wanted to. She decided that I would enjoy keeping some of my curl and so she cut off the back and just trimmed the thin ends around my face. I ended up with something kind of like an old pageboy cut. It's fine for now.  When the kids wanted to do crazy things with their hair, Alan and I always said to one another - it's just hair.

I stopped by to see Mom over the weekend when Aunt Frances and Jonathan were there. She wanted me to be sure and "save my curls". I brought an envelope of curls and gave them to Mom.  It seems appropriate - she has an envelope somewhere in the house of my first baby curl.

No comments:

Post a Comment