Thursday, October 8, 2009

A Mixed Bag

So here's the short of it,
Just some random thoughts tonight

And here's the long

Today I stopped by the cemetery.  There are several sections open for burials now; Dad is buried in section DD3.  There is a small gravel access to a spot very near his grave.  Since he was buried, seven days ago, there have been five more burials just in this section.  We went to the cemetery together at least once a year for the Veteran's Day celebration, and sometimes for other occasions.  I believe that Dad also went by himself from time to time.  It's only about 10 minutes from where we live.  He often said that he felt very good knowing that he would be buried there.  I do too.

Yesterday I asked why my port area is so achey some of the time.  My nurse pondered a couple of minutes and asked a couple of questions.  "Do you sleep on that side?" she said.  Well, of course that's the side I prefer to sleep on, and it turns out she thinks that's what's making it achey.  I tried last night to sleep on the other side.  That's hard!  I'll have the port until sometime in June or July or maybe even longer, so I'm going to keep working on that.

This morning Carrie, our secretary, stopped by the office to offer her condolences.  As she spoke about her own father's death, she began to tear up - and shared that it's been several years since her father died.  We were both weeping and I found myself understanding how years later a person can still be so emotional about the loss of a parent.

I got quite a bit of stuff done today and feel pretty good about the day.  I was so extra careful not to expose myself to anyone or anything that might be germy.  I know that there's lots of flu in the school buildings, so I'm doing everything I can from the office.  I really wonder how long it will be before I'm able to just kind of get back to normal.  I understand that sometimes radiation can cause fatigue and low white counts.  Apparently not for everyone though.  So I'm hoping I'll luck out of that one..... there I go worrying about the future instead of just staying in the now - I'm really trying though.

From my office I can look out across 40th Street to the beautiful Forrest Hills Cemetery.  It's very different from the very uniform look at the National Cemetery, but I still found it strangely compelling today.

Tonight Elizabeth was reflecting on Dad's life and she said that we were extremely lucky to have someone like him in our lives for so long.  She's right.  We were blessed beyond measure.

No comments:

Post a Comment