Saturday, October 17, 2009

Pancakes, Loss, and Steak

So here's the short of it,
Will eating steak help bring up my platelet count?  
That is the question.

And here's the long

This morning I went down to Mom's and had blueberry pancakes.  Aunt Joyce had spent the night and they were planning their day.  I had such a good visit with them.  Later in the day one of the Gideons, who had arranged to film the funeral service and the burial service brought Mom the DVD.  She and Joyce watched it and I think it must have been very emotional for them.

Alan and I went to the visitation for the mother of a dear friend. Tomorrow is her funeral.  It's so hard to lose a parent.  I know that I'm doing better, I don't have the constant hollowness that I experienced in the first few days.  But now the grief comes unexpectedly and something that may be very ordinary becomes an extraordinary reminder of Dad and brings tears and a deep heaviness. Many of my friends have told me that these memories eventually become a sweet reminder - I'm not there yet for sure. I ache for my friend's loss.  This is not an easy journey. 

Tonight Alan and I had an early anniversary dinner with Mom, Mommy Anne, Pennie, Myra, Liga and Valdis.  It was a nice evening, and I ate steak!  Every time I've been out I've been encouraged to eat red meat to help with my red blood cell production. Mom made steak the other night when we ate at her house.  Dr. Schlabach said I'd have to eat a steak as big as Texas to make any difference, but if it makes everyone feel better, I can manage - and maybe it will help.  I think when my treatments are all over and my blood counts are back up, I'll be so eager to have salads and vegetable plates!

No comments:

Post a Comment