Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Low Blood Counts

So here's the short of it,
I had a Herceptin treatment today and my blood counts are pretty low. 

And here's the long

Today was a Herceptin treatment day.  That one is fairly routine and goes pretty quickly.  We were in and out in about an hour.  I'm glad it's getting that way considering I'll continue doing it once a week til sometime in June or July!

It's a good thing I only have one more chemo treatment, because my blood counts are struggling even with the transfusion.  My white counts are below what's called the limits, so I have to stay really careful about not exposing myself to any nasty stuff - especially the flu.  My Hemoglobin is up considerably from last week before the transfusion but still below the limits - so that called for another shot of Procrit, because if that count doesn't come up it will delay my chemo treatment next week.  That's also the explanation for why I'm so tired all the time.  My platelet count is way low.  That's why any little nick on my skin just oozes blood way more than normal.  I was cautioned not to use sharp implements and to be careful about bruising.  This is also the explanation for why my gums have started bleeding in spite of all my efforts at good dental hygiene.  So all in all for someone in my condition, I am in pretty good shape.

I asked about work, and got the go ahead if I cloister myself and make sure not to be around children or people who may be sick.  I'll plan to work just in my office and try to stay clear of germy places. I'll be able to work until next Wednesday.  That should keep me in touch enough not to completely lose my place until I'm well enough to go back full time!

Today as Alan drove me to my appointment, I thought about how in this week of my treatment cycle I waited for the all clear to go to Kindred to see Dad.   I'd always ask him how he was doing and without fail, he'd say better.  And he'd ask how I was doing.  As I think about Dad and the lessons his life has taught me - I think how he lived life intentionally and never, ever gave up.

No comments:

Post a Comment