Tuesday, October 20, 2009

So here's the short of it,
I am so grateful that Mom lives down the street. 

And here's the long

I worked today. I was the only  one back in the office and so I was able to get a lot of stuff done.  I was right in the middle of something when I heard a noise and the substitute maintenance person came to check and see who was still in the building.  I guess I'm so far behind that I just got carried away and totally lost track of time.  I'm glad I felt OK today.

This evening I walked down to see Mom.  She had called while I was at work to get some help with her mower and so I wanted to check on her.  She didn't answer the door so I called her cell phone.  She answered and told me she was working out in the storage shed.   There she was in the middle of trying to sort through things and straighten.  She says it's so much to do, she hardly knows where to start.  But start she had! There was a pair of Dad's garden boots.  She had tied the laces together and hung the boots up on a nail. It was a pretty poignant moment to see her there finding things Dad still had in shopping bags, sorting things, and beginning to organize it in her own way.  I watched her pick up tools and tell me what they were used for and wrap the cords around them and put them together in a corner.  And I couldn't help but look up at the wall where the clock has stopped.  Alan was the one who saw it the other day.  I don't know how long it's been stopped, but it's 12:35.  I think somehow it should just stay that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment