Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Neuropathy and Port Problems

So here's the short of it,
My port tip has moved and my neuropathy continues. 

And here's the long

Last week this time, I reported that I had a chest x-ray, and that if there was any news about my cough they'd let me know.  In other words, no news is good news.  Well, today I got the news.  My horrible cough caused my port tip to get out of place.  I'll have to have a procedure to fix it before it can be used again.  I'm not sure exactly what they'll do, but it is some kind of surgical procedure because it can't be done until my blood counts return to a more normal level.  In the meantime, my weekly Herceptin treatments will have to be done through an IV into a vein instead of using my port.  I much prefer the port.  The IV just hurts a bit no matter how well it's done. 

Blood counts today are really low - white counts low, platelets low, red blood cells low.  But I feel better than I have at a week out on any of my previous cycles. 

My neuropathy continues to be a concern.  My feet feel pretty strange - a better description might be that my feet don't feel.  I'm supposed to increase the medicine prescribed for it and increase again by taking it in the morning on the weekend.  I'm to wait until the weekend because sometimes it makes people sleepy.  So I'll try it in the AM on Saturday and Sunday and see what happens.  I'll double what I was taking in the evening, and maybe it will make me sleepy enough to go off to sleep! Lori has really warned me to be very careful.  Apparently it is not at all uncommon for people to fall or injure their feet because of the loss of feeling.  I can easily see that.  It's a bit hard to know where my feet are sometimes.  The other concern is that neuropathy takes some time to go away.  Sometimes a long time.  I'm beginning to feel it in my fingers and particularly my thumbs as well as just a bit in the palms of my hands.  Apparently the Abraxane, which I got the last two treatments instead of the Taxotere, may have the advantage of having the neuropathy last less long.  I'm to report every week how I'm doing so they can chart how quickly it is improving.  A couple of my chemo sisters have told me that even several years out they still had problems.  Lori confirmed it - many people have very long lasting problems with neuropathy.  I'm optimistic that the switch to Abraxane has given me an advantage and I'll start improving soon.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Lynn, hang in there dear sister, we are asking God for strength during this time. Love,Steve & Pat

    ReplyDelete