Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Christmas Star

So here's the short of it,
The Christmas Star that Dad helped conceive and build is lit in front of First Cumberland Church. 

And here's the long

I was a little more tired today -- maybe I overdid it the last couple of days when I felt so much better.  But all in all today was a pretty good day.  This morning I slept in a bit and this afternoon I took a pretty long nap. I had enough energy to putter around the house a bit, but didn't really get very much accomplished. 

This evening, Alan and I went to the church service at First Cumberland Church for the Star Lighting service.  After Dad and Mom got settled in and decided which church they would attend, it didn't take long for him to start talking up the idea of a Christmas Star every year.  So the Star in front of First Cumberland is just one of the tangible legacies Dad left behind.  He loved the stars.  In the last weeks he was alive, Alan and I went to visit and told him there was a really bright star that evening.  He mouthed, it's Mercury.  He knew the heavens just as well as I know the streets running through the Belvoir neighborhood.  And he was enthralled with the idea of the star at Christmas.

Tomorrow I have my first radiation appointment.  I'm not sure if they will actually do the treatment since my platelet counts were still so low last Wednesday.  I'll just have to wait and see what happens.  I understand the first treatment takes about an hour to make sure everything is set just right.  I still have the ghosts of the permanent marker from my mapping.  I do know I'm not allowed to wear any deodorant over the length of the treatment.  I'm to use cornstarch instead.  The nurse also told me to get a couple of cheap sports bras to wear during the treatment.  She told me that whatever bras I wear will be ruined by the treatment.  I'm not sure why, but I'm sure I'll find out! 

My fingers are pretty sore.  One of my friends who is probably also distant family sent me a suggestion to use Zim's Crack Cream.  Liga picked it up for me today when she did our grocery shopping, and I've been using it since.  I sure hope it helps.  My Aunt Frances also sent information about a foot cream for neuropathy.  I'll get that ordered tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment