Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Work, tired, and fixing Sophie

So here's the short of it,
I worked today even though I'm still enormously tired, and Sophie got fixed today!

And here's the long

Today I worked a full day but I was so tired!   I did several things by phone and e-mail, but a couple of times I found myself just so tired I was nodding in my chair!  I took the little ceramic heater that Russ brought me to the office and put it right near my feet and it helped a lot.  Russ reminded me about how he and Dad had a conversation that if your feet are warm all the rest of you feels a lot warmer too.  I felt that today.  I had to keep adjusting it, but I imagine I'll figure that out pretty quickly.

Even though my other symptoms were not as severe this time, this weariness is almost overwhelming.  I'm supposing it's my low platelet counts - I'll get an update on that tomorrow.  Apparently, even though radiation therapy can have tiredness as a side effect, Dr. Gefter doesn't expect is will be quite as bad as I feel now.  He actually said that if I plan to take a daily nap, I should feel OK.  Naps or even a good night's sleep don't really make this tiredness I have now go away. 


Sophie had a big day today.  A big day for a big puppy!  She went to the vet this morning and came back home spayed!  Dr. Carter, who is also our neighbor, did the surgery and gave us a bit of time late this afternoon when we picked her up.  She's just now 6 months old, and the picture is a good scale about how big she already is. It's funny, but she really likes to rest in that position! Her official weigh-in at the vet's this morning was 56 pounds. The assistants at the vet's office told Alan that most dogs don't grow much taller after 6 months old, but that they do gain weight.  She is hungry all the time, so I have no idea how much more she's going to grow.  I really sympathized with her this evening.  She doesn't even want to eat anything, and she's walking very slowly.  She goes to the bathroom and comes right back in to lie on the rug and sleep.  She's nauseous and has thrown up a couple of times.  I guess it's the anesthesia.  I hope a good night's rest will make her feel lots better tomorrow.  We are supposed to keep her quiet for about 3 or 4 days.  I hope that Lola the cat cooperates and doesn't aggravate her too much. Anyway, Dr. Carter let us know that big dogs who still have a very small, immature uterus sometimes have to have a larger incision, just because her ovaries and uterus are  way down in there next to the back and the body is so broad.  Anyway it's very apparent that she's uncomfortable tonight.  When I have been at my sickest, she has been lying on the floor right next to me no matter where I plopped down. And if she hears anyone coming near me she positions herself between them and me and gives her low woof woof sound.  We've made quite a bond with me being sick while she's a puppy.  Right now she's very sleepy and rolled over on her back with her legs spread out so her incision is very visible.  Lola can hardly believe that she can actually walk around the den without Sophie trying to herd her somewhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment