Monday, November 30, 2009

Radiation

So here's the short of it,
My radiation treatments started today. 

And here's the long

Today I started my radiation treatments. I had to go up to the lab at Dr. Schlabach's office to get my blood counts first.  They are low, but both my doctors felt like they were showing a move in the right direction and both were of the opinion that radiation could begin.  Both of these doctors are very cautious practitioners, and I feel very comfortable with their decision.

Today was a long appointment.  They kept referring to it as set up and blocking, and referred to the shields.  Once again, I had to have my arms above my head holding onto those handles.  It really stretches my shoulder muscles, and after a bit of time is quite uncomfortable.  I was in two different rooms this trip, and both the rooms were very cool. Apparently they have to keep them pretty cool because of the machines.  It wasn't too bad when I was fully clothed with my big sweater on. Once my nurse said take everything off from the waist up and put on this robe, open in the front, I was cold!  In the first room my radiation nurse, Johnna, got me in just the right position and took x-rays.  It took lots of time - she was extremely meticulous about getting my body in exactly the right position.  She had me lie down on the skinny bed and put me into the upper body mold that they made on my first visit; then she moved me - it seemed like only in the tiniest of increments.  Sometimes she would just push against my skin to move me and get my tattoos right under the beam of light shining on my chest. Other times she moved me using the sheet.  Sometimes she rolled me just a bit, other times she actually pulled the sheet under me from one side or the other. None of the moves seemed more than just the tiniest bit. Then I had to be really still for a long time while she took measurements and marked me up with a permanent marker - oh yeah, my arms were still up over my head.  She would say numbers like 94 point 2 or 82.  I have no idea what those numbers meant.  I must have incredibly stiff muscles in my shoulders, because it really hurt to have to be so still with my arms up.  I kept just telling myself that I only had to get through another 5 minutes, finally toward the end, I was aiming to get through just the next one minute at a time.  After all the x-rays were taken Dr. Gefter came in and checked out the positioning and marked up a big area on my chest.  Then I was able to put my arms down and they took me to a little dressing room to wait for the OK to go into the treatment area.

I probably waited 20 minutes or so in this little dressing room for the treatment plan to be approved.  When I went into the actual treatment room, they replicated the first day I went for planning and mapping.  I had a special cushion under my knees and a pad under my back at a very specific location.  My upper body mold went on the table and I got right into the position. My treatment technician was a delightful young woman not too much older than Liga.  She told me what to expect and exactly how it would all happen.  She was joined by another technician and we repeated the meticulous positioning - I think it was easier because there were two of them.  Again, I don't think they moved me very much at all any time - and sometimes it seemed they were just pushing my skin. but they finally got me lined up just right.  Then Dr. Gefter came and double checked the x-rays and the positioning and marked me up some more.  I do think that the smell of a permanent marker will remind me for a long time of radiation treatments.  So here we were, ready to go.  The machine moved to the right side - the technicians left the room and it radiated me for 30 - 45 seconds.  Then the machine moved to the left side and I got the second short blast of radiation.  Then it was all over!

So it seems that the majority of a radiation appointment will be getting into the right position and making sure that the marks for the margins of the treatment area are touched up.  No wonder Johnna told me to buy a couple of really cheap bras.  I'll have permanent ink marks all over whatever I wear for the next couple of months!  I go again tomorrow and again the next day - 36 treatments Monday through Friday with time off on Christmas Day and New Year's Day!

My Mom, Aunt Frances, and Aunt Joyce gave me a special gift for this radiation phase of my treatment.


There is this beautiful gold foil box and inside it are 36 quotes for my days of radiation treatment.  There is a poem written by the sisters.







                           FOR LYNN - BLESSINGS
       Inside this box are quotes for you.
       Choose one each day to see you through.

       Some are deep and some are fun
       But remember, dear, to choose just one!

       We hope they'll help you pass each day,
       And just remember, we all will pray...

       That you will find, before much longer
       You will become stronger, STRONGER!

       And, yes, we add a final touch...
       It is "WE LOVE YOU VERY MUCH"!

          Emily (Mom), Frances and Joyce

No comments:

Post a Comment