Thursday, February 25, 2010

home again home again jiggity jig

So here's the short of it,
I'm home from a very good day in Nashville, and I got here in time to watch the Olympic Women's Ice Skating with Liga.

And here's the long

I'm home from Nashville.  It was a long but very good day.  I got to meet our new State Coordinator.  She is a delightful person, and it was good to connect a name with a face.  I also got to see several people that I don't see regularly but have worked with off and on over the last decade.  It's great to see old friends - the kind of people you can just pick up where you left off as though you only saw one another a few weeks ago. 

I had one very lovely experience.  I was in a session which two Hamilton County colleagues were doing, and a couple of times I spoke at their request.  At any rate, at the end of the session a member of the audience asked one of them if I had been ill.  She then came over and introduced herself to me and shared that she was an eight year survivor of breast cancer and that she just wanted me to know that it gets easier.  We had a lovely few minutes that felt quite intimate. It is one of the great gifts that has come to me from this experience - people are so gracious and so willing to share their own experience of overcoming the difficulties of cancer, and the treatments that nearly kill you to make you well. 

It was lovely to travel out of the county again, but it was a good call to only spend one night.  I'm tired; and I think another day would have been too much.  I'm glad to be home.  Liga and I have been having an Olympic date almost every evening when she gets home from work, at least for a few minutes.  We both love the women's ice skating event, so coming home tonight means that we can watch the free skate programs for the medals.  Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment