Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day

So here's the short of it,
Today was a lovely Mother's Day.

And here's the long

Today we celebrated Mother's Day and Alan's birthday.  This time last year Dad and I both knew that we faced surgery and a lengthy recovery.  Aunt Joyce and Aunt Frances were in Chattanooga, and Dad got all the mother's roses.  This year of firsts - of experiencing a year celebrating the holidays, and embracing the changes of seasons - is difficult.  But we all are shouldering forward.  I'll have to admit, that even though holidays are difficult, it is sometimes the ordinary days that are the most difficult.  Sometimes there's a question that will now never have a "Dad" answer.  Or Mom's talking about her gardening and I can see in it how it gives her a feeling of closeness to Dad.  Or driving past the cemetery, I see the flag flying at half mast and I know that another family has lost a veteran. 

But today was Mother's day, and we had Mom and Mommy Anne here with us.  I felt so fortunate to have them with us.  Liga and Alan made dinner tonight and I just stayed out of their way.  It was nice.  Valdis and Kailee came to have dinner with us as well. 

We had phone calls all around from our siblings to say Happy Mother's day to the Moms! 

By the way the hamburgers and hotdogs were really good. 

I got a beautiful bouquet of flowers from Liga.  I love the yellows of this time of year. 


Alan got me a potted plant that I couldn't identify.  It looks like a succulent that I've grown before in full sun on our front porch, and the name resided in my brain in one of those places that has been erased by the chemotherapy drugs!  Maybe someone will recognize it and let me know what it is.

I also started some louffa gourds, some zucchini, and some eggplant today. 

Tomorrow is a work day.   There's lots to do to get school closed down.  Here's hoping for a good night's rest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment