Saturday, July 10, 2010

So here's the short of it, 
Are Pet Owners Happier

And here's the long

"Anyone who lives with a cat or a dog will tell you how much love there is to be found in this man/woman-beast relationship."  Here's the opening sentence from an article by Kristen Houghton - Happiness Is: Are Pet Owners Happier.  She explores some of what makes the relationship between us and our pets so special.  I count myself fortunate to have grown up with cats and dogs. 

Mom and Dad who grew up with dogs and cats as farm animals never did especially relish having our pets inside. (That certainly changed when they got Molly Blue!)  As soon as I got old enough, I would sneak whatever cat was our current pet into my bedroom whenever I thought I could get away with it.  I remember waking one night - I know I was older than 12 because of the house we were living in - anyway, I remember waking in the middle of the night to soft high mewling.  One of our Momma cats was giving birth to a litter of kittens right in my bedroom!  I loved having the baby kittens around. 

I've been lucky as an adult to have had the company of wonderful dogs and cats.  Sophie and Lola were certainly on duty over the last year to pull me through my illness.  Lola still sleeps at my feet, and Sophie on the floor right next to my bed! 

Are pet owners happier?  I wouldn't ever want to be without a pet to have to find that out. 

Liga went and bought a fish today!  I think she may share my affinity for pets.

No comments:

Post a Comment