Tuesday, July 20, 2010

So here's the short of it, 
Today I attended a seminar with lots of big name speakers to get motivated. 

And here's the long

Today I went to a Get Motivated Seminar.There were so many motivational speakers! 

Dr. Robert Schuller opened the morning.  We also heard Bruce Pearl, Tennessee Men's Basketball Coach; Zig Ziglar, a motivational speaker that I remember hearing about in my younger days; Rick Belluzzo, former President of Microsoft; Rudy Giuliani, former Mayor of New York; and Pat Summitt, all time winningest coach in college basketball and coach at the Universtiy of Tennessee at Knoxville. In addition we heard James Smith, Bob Kittrell, and Stephen Pierce, all selling seminars.  I suppose the selling was to be expected  - - but all in all, it was a pretty good way to spend the second day back at work. Even the guys who were selling things were good speakers for the most part.  Zig Ziglar has had a fall and a head injury and was accompanied by his daughter.  She prompted him by asking questions which he was able to answer.  Their portion was supplemented by vintage video clips of Zig all through his career delivering some of his most inspirational quotes.  I loved seeing her support her father and help him continue to do the work that he loves. One of the things he said that I really liked went something like this "You can get anything money can buy without character, but without character you cant' get any of the things that money can't buy."  He also said "Encouragement is the fuel on which hope runs."  I really like that too!

I especially enjoyed Dr. Schuller's opening.  My two take aways from him were these:  "If you don't have a challenge you can't solve you aren't thinking big enough.  Think big enough that you can't succeed without God."  and "There's a God who believes in you even if you don't believe in him."   

And Bruce Pearl - he said lots of highly engaging things, but my take away is this.  "Hard work won't guarantee success, but success won't come at all without hard work.  Choose to be prepared."

So now I'll get back to work tomorrow, ready to put a bunch of that stuff into practice - if I can get my office chair fixed so that it doesn't cause my legs and back to cramp I'll be set to go! 

I'm especially tired this evening.  We have Hershey - Pat, Sarah, and Meredith came through town on their way to visit Lauren and family for a couple of days and they picked up Mom and took her with them.  Hershey just loves being up here with Sophie.  They've played nonstop for the 3 hours that I've been home now.   




































No comments:

Post a Comment