Monday, July 5, 2010

Sophie

So here's the short of it, 
Sophie the dog... 

And here's the long
                                                                                 Last year when Suni got so sick and died, I found myself wondering how in the world I would make it through this illness.  When Alan and I talked about getting a new dog, he suggested that we wait until I got through chemotherapy and I started feeling better.  I remember thinking that I didn't know if I could start feeling better without whatever it is that a dog brings into our lives.  We found Sophie at the Pet Placement Center - her mother was pregnant when they rescued her so we know her birthday and what her mother looked like.  She was born on May 5th - Cinco de Mayo and her mother looked like a Blue Heeler.  Someone saw her the other day and said that she looked like a Corgi on steroids!  She has some Heeler personality - that herding instinct is pretty apparent, but she has a much calmer nature than you would expect from a Heeler.  One of the things we read is that Heelers want to have a job. 

Sophie considers me her job.  I guess that she sized up the situation when we got her and decided that I needed her to watch over me.  Even though she was just a pup she decided she needed to stay right near me all the time.  That's continued! When I'm sleeping, she sleeps right next to me, no matter where I am.  This morning I got up and then decided to go back to bed.  She came and stood next to me and gave a big sigh and then took up her position next to me.  When I work in the garden in the mornings, she's right there with me.  She really likes to roll or just lie in the grass (I'm gradually getting rid of that much to her dismay).  Her next favorite thing to do is get muddy while I'm watering.  But she definitely likes to be right near me.

Most evenings I try to walk around the circle - when she was a pup, I couldn't even do that all the time, but when I did feel up to it, she would always accompany me.  Usually other dogs that live on the circle are out enjoying some time out of the house or the yard.  She's become good friends with them and they enjoy just running around with one another.  Sometimes if I'm walking and she's tired of playing, she'll just go lie down in the middle of the circle and watch me walk around.  She keeps her eye right on everything to make sure all is OK.  Sometimes if I'm really not cooperating with her, she'll just go up and wait for me on the porch!  

Every evening when I'm doing the blog, it's a sure thing that Sophie is right near me.  Right now she's already asleep.  When I turn off the TV and shut down the computer, she wakes up and knows that it's time to head to the bed and she'll be right behind me.  Whatever it is that a dog brings to your life, she's brought in full measure.

No comments:

Post a Comment