Thursday, July 1, 2010

So here's the short of it,
What a lot to think about after lunch with one of my cancer sisters.

And here's the long

I had a lovely lunch today with one of my cancer sisters.  I hadn't seen her since last spring and it was just great to have some time to visit.  One of the things she said was pretty interesting.  At some point she said that she gave away all her pink cancer shirts and memorabilia because she was not going to let herself be defined by her bout with cancer.  That sure was something to think about.  My life for the last year and a half has certainly been bounded by cancer, if not defined by it.  Today, I'm less defined by the cancer, but the lingering effects of the chemotherapy, radiation, and Arimidex - the estrogen repressor - remind me daily that I am physically a different person.

This afternoon Clyde, my second cousin spent the afternoon with me.  He is Mia Hansford's son.  Mia and my Dad were first cousins.  Dad was the oldest of that generation and Mia is the youngest.  Clyde is now a 10 year old.  They've been in Chattanooga now for 5 years.  Clyde helped me bathe Sophie and Hershey, work on the dishwasher, and did several other chores to help me out.  He's really growing up.  He's leaving this weekend to spend about 5 weeks with his Dad in New York.  He'll be back in time for school which begins in early August!

Liga is spending the night with Mommy Anne again tonight.  Mommy Anne is really having a difficult time now at Parkwood.  Remember her in your prayers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment