Wednesday, October 12, 2011

So here's the short of it, 
I'm watching a NOVA program on dogs. 

And here's the long.

I like to think about how the first wolves came to human communities and then the wolves and the humans decided that being together was a good idea.

I like to imagine that it was a young child and a young cub. That a fearless youngster from each species made friends and then, and then...

On the program, Dr. Kringlebach talks about the over 400 separate breeds of dogs, and he says that the modern breeding of dogs tells us a lot about us as people.  I'd say that's really true.  Like what does it say about us that we breed a Chihuahua or a Great Dane!

And while I reflect on the origins of dogs and their genetic make up and allow myself to be amazed by the German dog Betsy who has a vocabulary of over 400 words and can think abstractly - Sophie is stretched out on the carpet near my feet. This program says that a good relationship with a dog lessens the risk of heart attack and makes recovery from a heart attack 3 times more likely! That would be a lucky extra. But for me this sweet companion is enough.  She keeps me company and seems to read my moods and my health.

So to that first moment when humans and dogs took that chance I raise a glass and toast!  Thanks to them for building that bridge that would allow a time like this when a human and a dog would share a home, share food, and enjoy each other's company. When we would marvel at how smart she is, and she would love to just be with us.

So for those of you who want more information.
Click on DOGS DECODED 
Grab your own dog, and then watch!

No comments:

Post a Comment