Sunday, October 23, 2011

So here's the short of it, 
Yes - the birthday celebration continues!

And here's the long.

Tonight we did a smaller birthday dinner.
Just Valdis and Kalie, Mom and Russ, and Alan and me. Liga is usually around on Sunday nights, but she and Ryan were going over to his house for dinner with his family. It was nice to have everyone together.

We had "my version" of the Petro's Chili and Chips.
In 1982 the World's Fair was held in Knoxville.  Aunt Joyce was living there, and I managed to get there several times to visit and go to the fair. There at the fair the Petro's chili and chips was invented.  It was a small bag of fritos with chili spooned over it and your choice of toppings. It must have been a hit because Petro's chili and chips franchises were all over the place for a long time after that. I think now they are mostly in Knoxville.

My version was a vegetarian chili - four different kinds of beans, carrots, and zucchini. We had Fritos for the bottom of the bowl (or top of the chili - or both - eaters choice), and choices of toppings. It seemed to be a big hit, and I liked it just fine.

Now I'll have to say - I had more trouble with the chili today than I've had in a long time. My problem was that it kept sticking to the bottom and almost burning. And good grief, burning a soup, stew, or chili ruins the whole dang pot!  I had to change the pot 3 times!  At least I caught it each time before it really did burn. I never did figure out what was causing that.

So to continue the birthday celebration - we had leftover birthday cake for dessert. Now this was a cake from our Bi-Lo which is described as "cake for two".  We had dessert for everyone yesterday. Then three of us had cake and milk for a snack late in the evening. Then there was enough for dessert tonight - cake for two - HA!!

No comments:

Post a Comment