Saturday, September 12, 2009

Another Good Day

So here's the short of it,
I've had another pretty good day.


And here's the long

I've had pretty good energy today and haven't had any really awful symptoms.  I was pretty nauseous this morning like yesterday, but I tricked the old stomach and only ate some saltines and took some nausea medicine, so I didn't get sick.  I did have some coffee, just a few sips, before I felt the nausea, and if I'm not mistaken, yesterday I had a few sips of coffee before I was sick.  Maybe it's just the coffee. I love coffee, and those who know me, know that I have a hard time getting going without several morning cups.  But for most of the days after chemo, I don't want any coffee; it's just awful.  For the first three treatments I started drinking it again a few days before the next treatment when my taster started kicking back in.  This may be just a new thing, so no coffee tomorrow morning and we'll see what happens with the nausea.

I waited out my nausea and late this morning made a trip out to get in some groceries.  It's the first time I've been in the grocery store since my last big treatment.  I just took my time and didn't get in a hurry.  I determined not to buy things to make, because I know that after next Wednesday I won't feel like making anything for awhile.  I am rarely in the grocery store on a Saturday, but I wanted to have a leisurely tomorrow without having to worry about getting anything done.  I was amazed at the long check out lines! 

I also made a trip to get some specialty dog and cat food.  Sophie has had horrible gas since we got her and I began investigating what would cause that because it really smells up whatever room she's in!  That led me down a rabbit trail about dog nutrition and I've spent a good little bit of time reading all about what kind of food various groups recommend. One of the branches is a group of people who believe in a raw food diet.  You can make your own raw food, or you can buy it premade and shipped frozen.  But my favorite site is Raw Fed Dogs - and my favorite page on the site is the recipe list page.  I got quite a charge out of his recipes!  Anyway, we are not going to do a raw food diet, but I'm now not afraid to have some raw food treats on hand.  As a matter of fact, Sophie enjoyed a raw meaty neckbone tonight as a treat - she's still chewing on it.  We'll have to see what Lola girl will do when I try to switch her to a better food.  She loves her dry kibble, which is apparently not so good for cats.  They should be eating gushy foods!  and ones that have lots of meat.  I think I really didn't know that major commercial pet food used the meat that doesn't pass inspection for human consumption! And that they really use very little of that.  Oh well, we'll see how this next phase of pet feeding goes - and what happens with Sophie's gas.

When I came home today, I noticed the TFI tomatoes in the garden had a bunch of little reddies on the vine!  I went into the garden and picked them! For most of the summer I haven't even paid much attention to the tomatoes in the garden, Mom and my Aunts have taken charge of that, and Alan has kept them watered.  Dad put a couple of tomato plants in those tospy turvy containers and brought them up just before his surgery.  Alan put them on a pole right out on the patio and those are really the only ones I've paid much attention to - because the patio is about as far as I get most days when I'm not feeling well, and when I have felt well I've focused on something else.  It was nice to get absorbed in the tomato plants in the garden for just a bit.

I'm so thankful to have a few days with a bit of energy and stamina. 

No comments:

Post a Comment