Wednesday, September 30, 2009

So here's the short of it,
I had 2 units of blood today and went to Dad's visitation.

And here's the long

Dr. Schlabach has been telling me for about three or four weeks now that if my red blood counts did not begin to move in an upward direction that I would have to have a transfusion.  I've been getting Procrit - a shot designed to make my body make more red blood cells every week for three weeks.  My red blood cells should be going up! But that didn't happen.  Today my counts were still going in the wrong direction.  Dr. Schlabach said that if we didn't get me a blood transfusion, I might end up passed out in the middle of the funeral.

I called and had my Herceptin treatment moved up to the morning, so I'd have the afternoon to visit with family and be with my Mom, but that plan got all turned around.  It takes two hours for each unit of blood to be transfused and I had to have two units.  So I spent the whole afternoon at the hospital.  The morning in my doctor's office, and the afternoon in the transfusion center.  Our friend Dr. Seeber was in the lobby while we were waiting for the blood to arrive.  I shared my lab results with him and he said, "well, your chemo sure is working - you aren't making any cells."  It was nice to hear the positive side of the low blood counts.  But I sure wasn't counting on spending the whole day at the hospital, so I got my schedule all out of kilter, and didn't even get home until the visitation had already started.

Anyway, Dr. Schlabach told me that he wouldn't tell me to stay away from the visitation or the funeral, but for me to be careful about touching people, or allowing people to touch me - he started me on another antibiotic and told me to try to get rest. 

I am so grateful tonight for all the friends and family who have been so supportive.

No comments:

Post a Comment