Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Bad News, Good News

So here's the short of it,
My red count was too low for a treatment today so it's been postponed until next week.

And here's the long

Well, I did NOT have a TCH treatment today.  I only got Herceptin.  My red blood counts continue to be low.  Dr. Schlabach said my bone marrow is screaming. I imagine it's screaming something like "give me a rest". Anyway the bone marrow is where the red blood cells are manufactured.  I had another injection of Procrit which is supposed to help me manufacture more red blood cells, and the TCH treatment was postponed until next week.

I was looking for a link to explain the function of red blood cells, and found one at Wiki answers. 
Q: What Is the function of red blood cells?
A: They keep you from dying; they keep you from dying.

Anyway, I basically have Chemo induced anemia.  Red blood cells carry oxygen to the cells and Carbon Dioxide away.  The low counts are a good reminder of why my energy and stamina are so low. My platelet count is also very low. Platelets are what allow your blood to clot!  No wonder all my little boo- boos bleed so much.  And it is no problem at all to get a blood sample from a finger prick!

Anyway, a week of respite from the Taxotere and Carboplatin should allow my blood counts to get closer to normal. A part of this precautionary move is to prevent me from having to have a blood transfusion. Apparently it is not uncommon for patients who are undergoing chemotherapy to have blood transfusions, but it is preferred to have one's own body replenish the counts rather than transfusing.

Dr. Schlabach also had the results of my echocardiogram.  It is within normal limits and close to where the first one was. That's all a good thing.  It turns out that it is the Herceptin that is most likely to cause heart difficulties - and it was a side effect in only a small percentage of patients.  However, my Dad is a living example of what less than 1% is when it happens!

So one of the silver linings of the postponement, is that it will also postpone my last treatment by a week.  That means that when my niece Elizabeth and husband Josh, and their son Elijah (he calls himself YahYah) are here to visit I will be on the end of a cycle, not the beginning and I'll actually be able to interact with them and enjoy their company!

My feelings are conflicted this evening.  You know, I really get myself emotionally and mentally prepared before each of the TCH treatments, so in that way it was a bit of a let down not to actually have the treatment.  I had spent a good bit of time thinking about having them almost done - being all finished except for one, and on and on and on.  So in that sense it's a big disappointment.  On the other hand (as Tevye said in Fiddler on the Roof) there's always another hand, I'm glad to have a week of respite from my symptoms and know that I'll be strong enough to visit Dad and Mommy Anne for a few more days.  I'll be able to work four more days or 1/2 days depending on my strength. And I'll have another weekend to enjoy some activities.  This weekend is Rosh Hashanah and I'll be able to go to Temple on Saturday and then enjoy some afternoon time with Alan and the kids.  So there's bad and then there's good, just like everything else in life.

I am so grateful to have such an army of supporters who sustain me with positive thoughts, prayers, and messages.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Love Bunny,
    I don't have school tomorrow so I am grateful to have time now to catch up on your blog. I called Michael and he told me how to put your blog on my desktop. I did it and now you are only a mouseclick away. You are always in my positive thoughts and prayers. On Rosh Hashanah I will have special prayers just for YOU!!! L'Shanah Tovah to you and yours. Love you and enjoy these days of feeling well. xoxo, Myra

    ReplyDelete