Friday, September 18, 2009

I'll take another good day

So here's the short of it,
I've had a full day. 

And here's the long

Today I've accomplished lots of work stuff, spent some time with Betsy, visited with Dad, and went to a lecture by John Dominic Crossnan

I finished up a big project I've been working on and got some closure with a parent who had a school issue.  I spent most of the day just right in front of the computer extracting documents from a large PDF data base and sending them to the appropriate people. It's done!  I feel much better with that not hanging over my head.  I don't know how I would have/could have gotten that done if I had actually had my chemo on Wednesday.

I visited Dad this afternoon after work.  He's running temperature and is just so tired.  He does open his eyes and acknowledge visitors, but he just is too tired to stay engaged.  He is mostly sleeping. For more on his progress, check out Emily and Gene's blog.
 
It's really nice that Betsy came in to spend some time visiting Mom and Dad.  I took time to meet them for lunch and then Betsy went with us to hear Crossnan this evening at Grace Episcopal Church.  It was the kind of event that Alan and I really enjoy. Tonight he lectured on the state of the world during the 1st Century and what the Roman Empire was like - setting a context for the rise of Christianity.  We bought a couple of books. I really don't feel like reading these days, but when I do, they'll be near the top of my list.

I'm really feeling pretty good now.  I know that it's risky not to do Chemotherapy right on the predetermined schedule.  I remember when I wanted to put it off for several days so that I could enjoy family and my oncology nurse, Lori, told me that it wasn't wise to do that unless it was palliative care. But since my body wasn't in shape to handle the onslaught of more chemo drugs, I've had an extra few days of respite.  I haven't felt this good for this many days in a row since the last of May. So the silver lining of having a body that's rebelling against the chemotherapy is getting to have some kind of near normalcy for a few days.

There's a small little nagging feeling I want to share.  Yesterday, I heard the news that Mary Travers died from complications of Chemotherapy. I'm incredibly sad that we've lost such a vibrant singer and personality and one who was so much an influence in the pop culture of my coming of age.  I must also say that when I heard it, I caught my breath - especially since my difficulty with chemo is coming right about the same time. I know it's not the same, and I know I'm OK.  I know; I know. I just wanted to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment