Friday, August 19, 2011

So here's the short of it, 
Tomatoes, Tomatoes, Tomatoes!

And here's the long.

There it is -Today's harvest from the tomato garden (minus the ones I ate for supper)!

It's been too hot, and I've been too tired to harvest tomatoes after getting home from a long day at work this week, but I decided that I'd better get out there this evening.  Sure enough, I had let several of my big beautiful Purple Cherokee rot on the vine. And some of my Black Cherries were too far gone as well. Not a good feeling for a gardener!

It has been so hot and dry that it is a wonder to me that they have done anything much at all. They all have the blight. I'm going to have to fight that battle much earlier next year. And this year when Alan offered to set up our little drip irrigation system, I wasn't quite ready - I still had some I wanted to set out and then I never got around to having him do it. And after school started, I just haven't gotten up early enough to go out and water every or even every other morning! So they've been really distressed in all this weather!

But my oh my, they are so good!  The little Black Cherry is such a sweet little one. And that Green Zebra has such a distinctive flavor.  I love home grown tomatoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment