Monday, April 12, 2010

Honoring students and teachers

So here's the short of it,
Today was a long but good first day back at work.

And here's the long

I had a good day at work today.  I didn't get nearly everything done that I wished I could have, but I still accomplished a good bit.  This evening was the Annual Superintendent's Honor's Banquet where each High School brings the top 10% of their students.  The teachers of the year were honored as well as three teachers from each of the high schools.  Those teachers were chosen by students and represented elementary, middle, and high school.  It is always one of the highlights of the year.  Of course, it meant that I didn't get home until close to 10 this evening, so I'm pretty tired. 

I got to see lots of people all in one spot this evening, and I must be looking much better, since so many people commented on how much better I looked.  It was good to hear that.  I suppose I must have looked pretty dreadful in the fall. 

On the health front my complaints are relatively minor now.  My fingernails are a mess.  They are still separated from the nail bed, and if I don't keep them trimmed really close they rip back way into the nail bed and become pretty sore.  I'm still having diarrhea pretty often and some days (like today) are pretty difficult, but it's nowhere near like it was back in the chemo days, and I'm able to work just fine as long as I scope out where the ladies' room is when I get to my destination.  I didn't have any muscle cramps during the time I was in New Haven, but they started back last night.  I can't tell what it is that's causing them, but I'm sure hoping it's related to the Herceptin!  The neuropathy in my feet may be getting a little better - I can't really tell what's going on except that my feet are feeling different and I'm hoping that means better.  I also still walk up and down steps and on uneven surfaces like a little old lady.  Of course, some of the youngsters I work with (as well as some of the younger teachers) probably think of me as a little old lady!  Tonight I mistook one of our honored teachers for a high school senior!  I'm getting older and they are looking younger and younger! 

No comments:

Post a Comment