Wednesday, November 17, 2010

So here's the short of it, 
More thoughts about Dad and Mom.

And here's the long

Today Mom's PEO book club met to discuss Dad's book, A Name in the Sand. She had let them read one of the draft copies and after several times of having to reschedule it, this morning at 10:00 o'clock.  I took a personal leave 1/2 day so that I could join them, and Alan came as well.  I really enjoyed having an opportunity to hear the comments from these very bright, articulate women. 

I always knew - even from the time I was a very young girl, that my Dad was a really special man.  Each day I have that confirmed in some way.  Today it was through the eyes of people who didn't know Dad that well, but caught his spirit from his words.  I thought about how he started, and sat there at the kitchen table in Middlesboro, Kentucky when the weather was too cold and dark to be working  outside.  All of us children had been long gone from home, and Mom was there encouraging him and helping him have the strength to craft his story.  She's told me that it was a very emotional time for him as he relived his experiences, and I have to believe that her support and encouragement helped him get the story on paper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment