Friday, November 12, 2010

So here's the short of it, 
Today was a great conference day.

And here's the long

Today's conference sessions were really great.  Two of the sessions were on brain functioning.  One on executive functioning, the other on the science of how brain structure is related to learning styles.  Wow, the light went on - scientific explanations that suddenly made years of interactions with students spin into a new level of understanding. Then there was a presentation by Joe Renzulli about what makes the difference between really smart people who make a positive difference in the world and really smart people who focus on material gain, ego enhancement, and self-indulgence or even worse criminal behaviors.  That was really great. 

At dinner we got the together with a bunch of other Tennessee folks and found our way to the Hard Rock Cafe. 

NO DRUGS OR NUCLEAR WEAPONS ALLOWED INSIDE

This was the sign on all the bathroom doors - they weren't really stalls - little rooms.  There were several young teenage girls dressed in shirts with peace signs and other relics of the 60's.  They were laughing at the signs and saying "Do you think this is a joke?" I just had the notion that I wanted to gather them around in a little group and give them a history lesson about the anti-war movement and the peace and love generation.  But I washed my hands and went back to the table. 



And I thought to myself --- I guess I'm pretty old....

But I also thought, yep that's right -- no drugs and no nuclear weapons allowed inside.   And let's all imagine there's no hunger!

No comments:

Post a Comment