Sunday, November 28, 2010

So here's the short of it,
What do you do with green tomatoes...

And here's the long

I suppose I picked about 12 pounds of green and "pink" tomatoes the other day when I was trying to save them from the frost.  Today I decided to figure out what I was going to do with them.  Why go to the trouble to pick them and bring them in and then just wait until they got bad to throw them away -- right...

So Mom gave me a recipe for green tomato bread and butter style pickles. 



Cut them up -  make sure to cut away any blemishes.





Keep cutting them up, til you get 4 pounds worth!

Thinly slice 2 big onions.  The recipe actually called for a lot more, but I decided to go light on the onions. 









Layer the tomatoes and onions, salting each layer with canning salt.  Let sit for 1 1/2 hours.

Go down to Mom's and borrow the spices that are used for pickling that you don't keep in your house, because you don't usually make pickles. 








After supper, drain and rinse the tomatoes and onions, put them in sterilized jars, with the pickling "juice", and process them in a hot water bath. 

Stand back and think how beautiful they look and hope they taste really good too.

Plan to make the green tomato preserves tomorrow night!

No comments:

Post a Comment