Saturday, July 18, 2009

Turning the corner from this treatment

So here's the short of it,
I've turned the corner and have felt pretty good today.

And here's the long

Well, I could tell as I began to wake this morning, that I was going to have a better day. And that has been the case. I have still wanted to be very near the bathroom, but I've had enough energy to putter around in the kitchen, and walk outside to see Alan a couple of times. (He was working on cleaning out the garage.) And as my oncology nurse says, I'm managing my symptoms.

My taster is still out of whack! This morning after I woke up I thought to myself - wow, french toast would sure taste good for breakfast. Now, I should have thought brunch considering the hour. But I had enough energy to beat up an egg and dip a piece of bread. Anyway, I made it and it tasted so much like nothing! I was really disappointed. How could I have forgotten last time. There is a good lesson for me in this all. I've always been a person who loves food and turns to food in good times and bad. What better way to celebrate, or to share your worries with a friend than over a great meal. So one of the lessons I can take from this is that in this time when I need nurturing more than ever - food isn't going to do that for me. Mom made dinner at her house tonight and I drove down there and the two of us had a nice visit before she went down to Kindred for the night. The visit was wonderful and just as nurturing as the food might have been in another time.

I felt so much better that after dinner I went out for a walk around our circle. Our across the circle neighbors, the Hall's, were just coming into the circle from their own walk and I had the opportunity to actually visit with someone outside the family for a bit. What a nice way to end the evening. I took an extra turn around the circle with Jeannie walking with me and could really tell how my stamina has decreased this past week.

It's kind of hard to keep reminding myself, since I started feeling better that I'm not supposed to go out or really be around folks very much. "House Arrest", is what I've jokingly called it. I think that might turn out to be not so much a joke before this is all over!

No comments:

Post a Comment