Sunday, July 26, 2009

Work

So here's the short of it,
I have felt pretty strong today and plan to work 1/2 day tomorrow.

And here's the long

Today I woke with a new puppy in the house! What a great feeling. Our cat Lola, is quite disconcerted, but Sophie is not the least bit interested in the cat as prey. I do think she will want to be friends. Lola has spent so many days perched on the half wall in the living room staring at the place where Suni's bed was, that I know she's lonely. Once she figures out that this puppy is not dangerous and that she can be boss, I think they'll be just fine.

I'm planning to work tomorrow, and I know that because I'm feeling well and stronger I might be tempted to overdo. So I'm going to pace myself and be sure that I don't try to do too much. I'm only working a 1/2 day schedule, but I'm going to achieve that by going in late and leaving early instead of trying to get up early or stay really late. This is the last week we are on a 4 day work week, so I'm pretty sure that the long day would be too much for me. I'll be eager to get into the work at hand and try to get some things set in place before school opening.

I had a "big chemo" treatment scheduled for this coming Friday, but I've rescheduled it for the following Monday. My brothers and their children, as well as Shelley and my grandson Max will be coming in for the weekend and I want to be able to spend some time with them. My blood counts will be up, I'll be pretty strong, and I'll be feeling great. I wanted to wait until the following Friday for the treatment so that I would be able to attend our opening in-service, but getting off schedule by that much is not OK with my oncologist. So the treatment schedule will pretty much guarantee that I won't be able to work at all the week we return to school. I'm really sad about that. I always enjoy the excitement of the first days of returning to school, and another thing that I will count as a loss from this cancer is not being able to participate in that. But I am determined to work when I can and stay connected as much as possible.

Sophie is sleeping at my feet while I blog away - it feels good to have a pup presence in the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment