Thursday, March 18, 2010

Breast Cancer Educational Series

So here's the short of it,
Tonight we went to hear Dr. Schlabach give a talk.

And here's the long

Reading the online group discussions about Herceptin has really given me some new insight.  I've been thinking that I'm  so tired by the end of the week because of working.  Now I'm thinking that having my treatment on Wednesday contributes to me feeling so tired as the week draws to a close.

Tonight my oncologist was speaking at a local Breast Cancer Network of Strength.  He attends the very well known San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium every year, and he shared some of the newest studies and treatments coming down the line. Alan and I went.  There was quite a large crowd.  There were women - very young to older than me, and a few men.  I saw Phil and his wife - the man I met in radiation who has the same cancer as me.  One very young woman had on a toboggan a bit like the ones I wore.  I was guessing she was right in the middle of her chemotherapy.  I saw several women I knew who had undergone surgery and radiation only.  I met another woman who said she was on her 146th chemotherapy treatment.  She gets a dose of Taxol every week!  It was an amazing crowd of people.

Hearing the new studies and learning about what's coming down the pike with a bunch of other people who have the same basic life experience was a good evening.  And once again, hearing Dr. Schlabach speak with such understanding of his work and such compassion for his patients just confirmed what a great thing it was that he ended up being my oncologist. 

No comments:

Post a Comment