Wednesday, March 10, 2010

So here's the short of it,
Today brought another Herceptin treatment, and news of a friend's cancer diagnosis.

And here's the long

Today was Herceptin number 38. That means that I have 14 more weeks of  IV treatments.  Since my port malfunctioned I've gotten my treatments in my right hand or arm.  So far most of them have been in the hand or in a lovely vein I have that runs right along my wrist on the inside side.  Lori is really good at getting that little butterfly needle in but I have to be very careful not move.  So I can't get up and go to the bathroom during the infusion or even wiggle around very much.  Even if I'm going to use my phone, I have to use only my left hand.  Thank goodness it only takes about 45 minutes to get the infusion done. It won't be long before I'll be starting a countdown on these treatments as well!

Today, one of my very dear professional friends, Louisa Mesich, a teacher that I work with, called to tell me that she has just been diagnosed with breast cancer.  From her biopsy report, it seems that she has the Estrogen positive, Her2Neu that I have.  Her surgery is tomorrow afternoon and she has elected to have a bi-lateral radical mastectomy.  For those of you who pray, put Louisa in your prayers.  Tomorrow will be a difficult day for her, but I have lots of optimism that she will be just fine!  She has chosen Dr. Schlabach as her oncologist, so one thing I do know, she's going to be in good hands!

No comments:

Post a Comment