Saturday, March 6, 2010

Massage

So here's the short of it,
A massage today...

And here's the long

In spite of having a rough two days, I decided to get up today and keep my appointment with Kelly.  It seems to really make a difference in my ability to tolerate almost everything. I get what she calls the Therapeutic Massage. According to the website -This is a deep tissue massage designed to relieve the client’s specific areas of pain, working out the knots in the muscle tissue with slow strokes and deep pressure. She tells me that she can feel the difference in the tightness of my muscles along my spine since I began.  I don't know exactly where I'm loosening up, but it's making a difference.

Today I talked with her about how stiff I am and how frustrating it is to try to do stretches and not be able to move very much at all.  She was so encouraging.  She told me to just barely move and hold that position while I breathe and to stop trying to push myself.  She says my body will settle into that spot and the next time or maybe the next or even the next I'll be able to move a little further.  She emphasized that it's really important not to get frustrated and push too hard.  So here again I'm encountering one of those lessons I'm supposed to be learning from this whole ordeal.  Patience. I had gotten myself somewhat limbered up for an old gal but I'm way behind the place I started from at this point and it seems my progress is not going to be as fast as it was before... sigh.  Patience, Patience. 


Here's a little about this woman who is making such a difference in my life these days.  I like her a lot.  She finds the knots and spots that are tight.  She uses pressure to relieve the spots and then long deep pressure strokes to push the tightness out.  Sometimes it is so astonishing that a deep pressure stroke in the upper part of my back may cause a corresponding muscle pull in my lower back or hip.  She's got that whole massage therapy knowledge about what connects to what and how to work on it.  Here's a little about her from the Center MedSpa website.
   
Kelly Mantovani
Licensed Massage Therapist

Education
Tennessee Institute of Healing Arts

Family
Two Children – ages 9 and 5

Hobbies
Running, hiking, studying about healing the body

Pets
Bearded Dragon, Salvador

Guilty Pleasure
Coffee

Why I Became a Therapist
The human condition is amazingly complex. Through massage I am able to work with all aspects of my clients – physical, mental, emotional and spiritual. It is the most fascinating and rewarding work I could ever do.

Favorite Quote
“There is no try. There is do or do not.” Yoda, Jedi Master

No comments:

Post a Comment