Saturday, August 28, 2010

So here's the short of it, 
Butterflies and Tomatoes

And here's the long

 This fellow has been in the garden for a couple of days.  
I think he's really beautiful.


Today I went shopping at Green Life Grocery and found a new kind of tomato. The write ups say that it can be eaten at any stage of ripeness.  It's a dark tomato like the little Black Cherry we've enjoyed so much and like the Cherokee Purple that was so delicious.  It's a rather small tomato called a Kumato - it's size is more like a smallish Celebrity.  Apparently it's been grown in Europe and Canada for some time and is just now making its way into U.S. markets.  According to the information I can find, a person can't buy the seed.  The seeds are sold to producers who will agree to follow a very strict protocol for growing them and getting them to market.  I can't find any information about whether or not they are a hybrid, but I've got enough Gene and Emily in me to try to save some of the seeds and see what I can do.  Of course I'll have to name them, because the Kumato brand is a bit like the Vidalia Onion brand.  You can grow the Texas Sweet yellow onion anywhere you want, but you can't call it a Vidalia unless it grows in a certain area.



No comments:

Post a Comment