Monday, August 2, 2010

So here's the short of it, 
My colleague's father is not doing well.

And here's the long

My friend and colleague, Delane, is having a difficult  time.  Her father has been diagnosed with advanced cancer and they believe that he doesn't have very much longer.  Her mother is also not doing well.  She is coming to work every day, but each time I see her I can see the stress and the difficulty she has concentrating.  And each time we talk, it seems we both end up teary eyed.  I cannot think of any more difficult passage in my life than the death of my father.  I am really doing quite well, but sometimes just out of nowhere something happens that just takes my breath and hollows out my heart.  It might be a picture of a hummingbird that reminds me of the story Dad told about having a hummingbird fly back and forth through the spray as he was watering the garden down at Crabtree, or it could be a poem, or just something someone says.  I know that nothing I can say to Delane will help - she just has to walk through it and come out on the other side. 

Tomorrow we have our opening convention.  All of the employees are supposed to be together at the Round House Arena.  We'll be entertained by students representing all different school groups and then hear an inspirational speaker.  I hope it really does get us all feeling like we can have a great year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment