Thursday, August 12, 2010

So here's the short of it, 
The worst and the best...

And here's the long

Yesterday when I went to Dr. Schlabach, one of the questions he asked me was, what did I think the worst part of the treatment was.  I think I answered something about being so sick. I've had a little time to reflect on that.  What's the worst part of the treatment.  I think that it was the feeling of being so absolutely out of control.  Of course the nothing will fix it diarrhea was certainly the most apparent loss of control, but everything from sleeping for 20 hours a day to having my taste get so out of whack were all about no control.  But I guess the most difficult was not being able to decide when I could go to the hospital to see Dad.

Dr. Schlabach didn't ask me what the best thing was that happened, but I am amazed at how many blessings came to me through that difficult time.  I saw a friend today and she told me that I'm still on her church's prayer list.  I also know that so many individual people kept me in their thoughts and prayers.  I know I had a very large and very multi-faith prayer circle which helped to sustain me. 

But I think that the very best outcome has been my different take on life.  I think I just appreciate every single thing a bit more than ever before.  It's almost like the year of my treatments passed in black and white, but day by day, first one thing and then another became ablaze with Technicolor!  I do seem to be much more in the now than ever before.  And I do think that I got to practice lessons in patience many times.  I think I've been working on that for many years, and I'm sure that even though I got lots of practice, I m likely to have many more opportunities to work on that character trait!

No comments:

Post a Comment