Saturday, August 8, 2009

Getting better

So here's the short of it,
I believe the worst of this cycle may be over.

And here's the long

I am extraordinarily tired today and I am taking immodium regularly (and am still struggling with diarrhea) but I believe that the worst of this cycle must be over! This has been SO much easier than the first two cycles!

I had good visits with Shelley and Max, Daniel, and Pennie. My twin cousins Ann and Sue with her husband Ken, came in last night to spend some time with Dad and I got a chance to visit with them. Sue, with her lawyer's mind, was so helpful to me when I was struggling with trying to make a decision about whether or not to participate in the drug trial. She spent a huge, long time one evening just asking me questions and helping me sort through it all. And once I made the decision I've been really at peace about it.

Sophie, our new puppy, and Lola, our 3 year old cat are beginning to speak. Lola has probably felt very neglected, but she is beginning to be more at ease with the pup. I'm thinking they will probably be pretty good friends. Lola certainly was devoted to Suni. She spent many days after Suni died, sitting on the half wall looking over at the place where Suni's bed had been. Of course, both Alan and I are still likely to look over at her spot when we pass through the living room where she preferred to sleep - even with this delightful pup in the house!

I've discovered something that tastes OK. Fritos. I bought one of those big get 20% more bags. I sure hope they taste good for longer than a day or two. I've learned that Herceptin causes taste difficulties for some people. I'm hoping that won't be the case for me since I'll be getting it until July!

1 comment:

  1. Lynn,
    You are doing what I should have done, and that is to keep a daily journal of all the pitfalls and the good news that *does* come your way. I scanned the past few days of the blog and the word Taxotere popped up in your journal. EVIL DRUG!!!! At least for me it was, as I had to get a dose reduction and managed to have every side effect that the "T", and I don't mean sweet T, offers up to us breast cancer ladies. As an aside, did you know that the day after you are diagnosed you are considered a survivor? Well, you are! Back to the T, it is a very tiring form of chemo and just rest as much as possible.(The Docs lie and say it is a cake walk after CEF) I did have some side effects like neuropathy, and they are being treated with Lyrica. ( Which of course brings its very own side effects, LOL) I am glad to hear that you are getting though this remarkably well, and my mantra is "one day at a time". I threw my husband out 2 months ago, divorced his sorry butt and said bye bye...I was too weak to do this during chemo and radiation, but the thought was there!. "Really dear, I am NOT cleaning the kitchen the third day after chemo, the rag is over there!" and he actually looked surprised!! But enough about me..My tests show "no evidence of cancer", and that is good enough for me! My best advice to you is to rest and sleep whenever you can. You'll need it for all of those little gifted pipsqueaks that you shall soon encounter! I know you have chemo buddies up there, but please let me know if there is anything I can answer for you. It affects each of us differently, so my experience won't be the same as yours or anyone else's. Take care, sister, this is a tough fight and you are halfway through! sally Endler ( friend of wicked wanda day)

    ReplyDelete