Monday, August 31, 2009

Doctor Visit Today

So here's the short of it,
So I have something called myopathy.


And here's the long

When I called in with my symptoms today, Lori asked me to come in and get checked out. She checked me over thoroughly and found high blood pressure, good oxygen saturation, and was concerned about my being weak and out of breath after just a short walk across the room. I saw Dr. Schlabach and he checked me out pretty thoroughly. He had me test my strength pushing and pulling against his arm with my toes, feet, legs, knees, hands, arms, and shoulders. He believes that I have developed myopathy from the steroids that have to be given with the Taxotere.

Apparently Taxotere has to be given in a solution which can cause aniphylaxis - so it has to be given with pre-medication steroids. And the steroids are in all likelihood causing this myopathy. It is primarily causing muscle weakness in the muscles originating in my pelvic region - and for walking that would be, I suppose, my thigh and gluteus muscles. When Dr. Schlabach asked me to push against him with my knees - in any direction - I had hardly any strength at all. Apparently he expects that I will regain my strength, but is concerned enough to be thinking about changing the Taxotere for something else for my last two treatments. I'll also be having an echocardiogram before my next treatment so that we can rule out any heart function problems.

I've been sleeping off and on most of the afternoon since I got back. Dr. Schlabach scolded me about not eating or drinking enough, so I've made a concerted effort to drink and eat this afternoon. Alan stopped on the way home and got me a big unsweetened tea from Sonic, and I managed to drink it all!

I am feeling very relieved to know what's causing the weakness. While I was at the doctor's office, I got blood work done, and my white blood counts are way down. So I suppose I'm staying home at least until I'm back on Wednesday for my Herceptin treatment and more blood work.

1 comment:

  1. We are praying for you constantly!!! Keep the faith.... Love, Steve & Pat

    ReplyDelete